Thursday, July 18, 2013

Happy Birthday Mom



       Last weekend was my mother's birthday. She turned 56 years young :). My mother and I haven't always had the best relationship as she is Bi-polar and with my agoraphobia/panic disorder we have bumped heads and had a quite few times of not speaking to each other over the years, but we are always in the learning process of each other’s illnesses. With that being said, I knew it was important to her for me to attend her birthday party. So I made a plan...



The venue that she was having her birthday party at had a hotel right next door in a very short walking distance, so my mom rented a room there so I could escape from the party if I had an all-out emergency (I was really thankful). I made sure to request a room on the bottom floor near an exit. I began by packing the day before. I keep a list of everything I usually need when I am away from home so I went through my list and checked and rechecked to make sure I had everything. I arrived at the hotel early in the day and just took time to unwind and not think about the party.


                             

                                   I love taking pictures so I snapped a few shots of the room.




      ..And then walked down to the pool. I really wasn't up for swimming so I just sat by the edge and tried to relax. As the party time grew near I got dressed and pack my purse with water, a light snack and my coping techniques list. I was happy to make it to the party and sat by my mom the whole night. I did have a few moments of anxiety, so I made a few trips to the bathroom to get away. I even got up and danced a song with my stepdad :) All and all it was a great success for me and I am thankful. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend...






No comments:

Post a Comment